Thursday, August 9, 2007

2nd entry

Not exactly day 2, I guess we're on day 6. So the intent is to carry around all your trash for two weeks, and minimize what's created. I've just put my trash (plastic bag) in my backpack which I carry with me to work, along with my tupperware for compost scraps and cloth napkin. I had such a hectic day yesterday at work, after a morning at the docs. I wanted to get a simple sandwich to take back to the office and get working, I forgot they wrap it in saran wrap, so I'll be carrying that around, at least it's compact. I gave back the plastic bag and napkins he gave me, which I've done many times anyway. I normally collect plastic bags I can't avoid and use them as little trashliners at home. Kris has been washing bags for reuse, come in handy when we go food shopping, we can just reuse the clear plastic bags for produce and bulk items. We made some potatoes and "sausage" last night for dinner, "sausage" made by tofurkey so it's mostly soy. It comes in a vacuum sealed plastic with cardboard wrapper. So I'll carry around more plastic, seems to be the primary source of trash for us. Kris bought a bunch of yogurt yesterday and I pointed out waste created, then realized you can recycle it, but she plans on using the containers to hold paint later for her projects.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Good job you guys! Keep it up! I am not sure if you can compost the wrapper at Subway, according to my research if it has a wax lining- you can't. Just checking! Anyway, so far so good :)